Complete information about Grand Prix Byes can be found in the Magic: The Gathering Premier Event Invitation Policy.
Grand Prix Byes Award Criteria
A player may be awarded byes for an individual-format Grand Prix based on one or more of the following criteria:
Grand Prix Bye Restrictions
Players can be awarded one-, two-, or three-round byes for individual-format Grand Prix. Byes are not cumulative within a given Grand Prix or from one Grand Prix to another. Byes may not be passed down to other players for any reason and are not transferable. Byes may not be deferred from one Grand Prix to another and must be earned each time. Players that accumulate multiple byes to a Grand Prix are awarded only the bye for the greatest number of rounds.
Byes earned through Planeswalker Points are calculated using the Planeswalker Point totals from all reported events as of the Tuesday immediately before the Grand Prix. Points earned in tournaments held at the Grand Prix event site do not count toward earned byes at that Grand Prix.
If a player is awarded a bye, he or she is considered to have earned 3 points in the Grand Prix for each of those rounds. Byes are not counted toward a player’s opponent’s match win percentage. Players with byes will usually have an advantage in tiebreakers over players that do not have byes.
Byes at Individual-format Grand Prix
For each Individual-format Grand Prix, byes are awarded as listed below. All listed criteria are as of the date of the specific Grand Prix:
- Winners of Last-Chance Trial tournaments designated to award byes to that Grand Prix.
- Players who have accumulated at least 2,250 Planeswalker Points in the current Planeswalker Points Yearly Award Season.
- Players who have accumulated at least 2,250 Planeswalker Points in the previous Planeswalker Points Yearly Award Season.
- Players with a Pro Tour Players Club level of Bronze or Silver.
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,300 Planeswalker Points in the current Planeswalker Points Yearly Award Season.
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,300 Planeswalker Points in the previous Planeswalker Points Yearly Award Season.
Note: Teams are not awarded byes in team-format Grand Prix.